

Personalized Istanbul Tours and Sightseeing Discover Istanbul with a personal guide. Visit Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern, Grand Bazaar, and Galata Tower, and uncover hidden gems in the city’s vibrant neighborhoods. Experience history, culture, and authentic local life.

The first lighthouse on the coast of Constantinople appeared after the shipwreck of a merchant ship that ran aground in 1755. By the order of Sultan Osman III, the tower was built with a light source visible for three miles. The light source was an olive oil lamp. During the Crimea war of 1854-1856, the sailors of the Anglo-French squadron, when passing the Bosphorus, realised that the old lighthouse did not meet the modern requirements, and the the Turkish Sultan Abdulmecit ordered to build a new one. The construction of the 26 meter high tower was conducted under the supervision of Parisian engineers. The lighthouse became operational in 1857, significantly facilitating navigation at the entrance to the Strait. The light source is located at an altitude of 36 meters above sea level and was originally a kerosene-potash lamp, its light was visible for 16 miles. Later, a carbide lamp was used. Currently, an electric lamp with a power of 1000 watts is used. The beacon gives flashes visible for 30 miles, every 6 seconds.

The Anatolian Fortress was built in 1394 during the reign of Sultan Beyazit I and is the first Ottoman castle on the Bosphorus. It is situated on the banks of the Asian side of Istanbul in the fishing village of “Anadolu Hisarı”, which consists of old wooden houses listed under historical preservation protection and a small harbor. The main purpose of the construction of the Anatolian fortress was to support the first siege attempts of Constantinople towards the end of the 14th century. Furthermore, the fortress was responsible for controlling the brisk trade of the remaining Byzantine garrison on the Black Sea. In addition to the Byzantines and the Ottomans, the Venetians and Genoese also had a strong interest in the control of the strait. After the conquest of Constantinople, the fortress served temporarily as a military prison. With the Fortress Rumeli Hisarı on the opposite European side, which was built within a very short time before the conquest of 1453 under Sultan Fatih Mehmed II, the two fortresses controlled together the brisk shipping traffic on the Bosphorus and were intended to cut off Constantinople from the outside world.

The AKM was opened on Oct. 29, 2021, by Erdogan as a giant art complex including an opera house with a capacity of 2040, a gallery, music platform, library, children’s art center, a multipurpose hall, cinema, restaurants and much more. Originally built in 1946 as the “Opera House,” and later transformed in the 1960s as the Cultural Center, the project was designed by Dr. Hayati Tabanlioglu, father of Murat Tabanlioglu, the current architect. The first project took 23 years before opening in 1969. Sadly, after a fire in 1970, it took another 7 years until the second opening of Ataturk Cultural Center, which was again designed by Hayati Tabanlioglu. By June 2008, the Cultural Center was closed for renovations. On 10 February 2019, construction of the new complex began with a groundbreaking ceremony attended by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Today, the new Opera House acts as the center of arts and culture of twenty-first century Istanbul, a city that is the central location between the East and West, home to numerous cultures and classic civilizations.

The Belgrade Gate in the Theodosian Walls which were originally built in the 5th century during the reign of Theodosius II. According to a story related by Niketas Choniates, in 1189 the gate was walled off by Emperor Isaac II Angelos because, according to a prophecy, it was this gate that Western Emperor Frederick Barbarossa would enter the city through. It was re-opened in 1346, earning the name of Belgrade Gate, as many prisoners brought from Belgrade had settled in the area after the conquest of Serbia by Ottoman Sultan Suleiman I. It then closed again before the siege of 1453 and remained closed until 1886, leading to its early Ottoman name, Kapalı Kapı ("Closed Gate").

This mosque, which is situated in Bayezid Square, was built by Sultan Bayezid II and completed in the years 1500–1505. The complex is composed of a mosque, a kitchen, a primary school, a hospital, a medresse, a hamam, a soup kitchen for the poor and a caravanserai. Bayezid Mosque is at the center of the complex. Its main dome is 16.78 meters in diameter and is supported by four pillars. The stone and wood craftsmanship and stained glass are artistic masterpieces. The courtyard paving materials and pillars used as a reservoir for ablutions were reclaimed from Byzantine ruins. These pillars in particular demonstrate the quality of Byzantine workmanship. The soup kitchen and Caravanserai are to the left of the mosque and are used today by the Bayezid State Library. The Turkish Foundation of Calligraphy uses the medresse far to the right of the mosque as a museum. Tombs are found on the Kiblah [Mecca] side of the mosque. Sultan Bayezid II, his daughter Selçuk Hatun and architect of Tanzimat Fermanı, Mustafa Reşit Paşa, are buried here.

Beyazıt Square is found in the Fatih district of the European part of Istanbul, and is officially called Freedom Square. The more colloquial name – “Beyazıt Square” – comes after the Bayezid II Mosque which dominates the square on one side. Another major local attraction is the majestic entrance to Istanbul University, the campus of which is a home to the Beyazıt Tower, also visible from the square. The history of the place started 1700 years ago as the site of the Forum of Theodosius built by Constantine the Great. Today, Beyazit Square appears serene and it is quite hard to imagine that only a century ago it witnessed some truly tragic events, such as revolts and public executions (hanging of 20 Armenian activists – the so-called “20 Hunchakian gallows” – took place here on June 15, 1915).

Described by some as a miniature Dolmabahce Palace but without the crowds, the Beylerbeyi Palace was commissioned by Sultan Abdülaziz to act as an imperial summer residence. With 24 rooms, 6 halls, and a hamam, it would have been quite the summer home and was also used to entertain visiting dignitaries. Today, the main structure of the Palace including the Mabeyn and Harem sections is open for its guests. Some of the furniture, such as the dining chairs in the harem and selamlik, were carved by Sultan Abdülhamit II during the six years he was imprisoned here until he died in 1918. After her stay in 1869, Empress Eugénie was so impressed with what she saw when she stayed here in 1869, that she had the windows copied in the Tuileries Palace in Paris.

Dating back to the 5th century, the Cistern of Philoxenos is one of Istanbul’s surviving Byzantine subterranean reservoirs and a hidden gem that’s off the tourist trail. While its Turkish name, Binbirdirek Sarnıcı, translates into ‘1001 Columns’, the number isn’t used literally here but as a turn of phrase denoting multitude. The cistern is actually built on 224 columns standing more than 10 meters tall, most of which are engraved with a Greek mason’s mark. In recent years, the cistern has hosted a variety of events including concerts, fashion shows and exhibitions.

Boukoleon Palace (Bucoleon Palace) was the summer palace of the Byzantine emperors, which was built along the shores of the Marmara Sea in the south of the Great Palace of Constantinople. It is very probable that the palace was built in the fifth century CE, during the reign of Theodosius II (r. 408-450 CE). The palace’s name (Boukoleon) comes from the marble statue that once stood at its entrance: a lion (leon in Byzantine Greek) attacking a bull (bouc). Although the bull statue has been lost to the annals of time, the lion statue has been recovered and now is exhibited at the Istanbul Archaeological Museum. The palace itself was part of a greater complex, stretching from the city’s north to its south, and included a Grand Palace, a structure that used to stand somewhere between today’s Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. It functioned as the summer palace of the Byzantine imperial family until the 11th century when the empire moved its headquarters to the Palace of Blachernae, situated near the Golden Horn. According to the written primary sources, the 1532 Istanbul earthquake damaged the palace highly. In addition, the railway line built in 1873 destroyed the western section of the palace. Today, the structure is in ruins and has no border with the Marmara Sea, due to the Kennedy Avenue built in 1963, but its monumental façade rising from the sea walls still stands for centuries.

The Walls of Constantinople were built by Constantine the Great, and they originally surrounded the entire city on all different sides. The walls were designed to protect this strategically placed city not only from land invasion, but from the sea also. Over time, various additions have been made to the Walls of Constantinople, and modifications made to fix problems and create a larger protection wall. This was mostly during the Ottoman Empire, when all manner of invaders tried their luck. The walls today are not completely as they were back in the day, but the various stones and blocks of wall which still stand the intricacy, size, and span of the original walls, and really take you back in time. The Walls of Constantinople are without a doubt one of the largest and intricate protection systems built in history.

Camlica TV Tower is the television and viewing tower located on Kucuk Camlica Hill. The total height of the tower is 369 meters, 221 meters is a 49-storey reinforced concrete structure, and 168 meters is the antenna. The tower consists of 49 floors and includes tourist places such as a restaurant and a cafe on the 39th and 40th floors and two viewing terraces on the 33rd and 34th floors to enjoy a light meal with a distinctive view from that height of the tower. After the tower was put into service, other antenna towers in the city were removed. 100 radio broadcasts from this tower can broadcast in the same high quality without cutting each other’s power and interfering with their frequencies. The architecture of the tower is based on the “Tulip” flower, one of the historical symbols of Istanbul in history during the Ottoman period. The viewing terrace and restaurant floors resemble a tulip bud that hasn't bloomed yet. Panoramic elevators, located on both sides of the main building, symbolize the Bosphorus, which both separates and integrates the Asian and European continents.

Camondo (or Kamondo) stairs are stylish steps in Istanbul, near the Galata Tower in Beyoglu district. The stairs were built by a Jewish banker and philanthropist Abraham Salomon Camondo (1781-1873). Abraham wanted his children to have a shorter way from home to their school, so started to build the stairs in about 1870-1880 in what then was Constantinople. The staircase provided a shortcut not only to school of the famous banker’s children but also to the family-owned bank on what is now called Bankalar Caddesi (Banks Avenue). Today the stairs serve as a fashionable walk up to the Galata Tower in Istanbul and the city’s attractions.

Istanbul has a chocolate museum and it is the only one in Turkey. Located next to the Pelit Chocolate Factory, Pelit Chocolate Museum is one of the most popular museums in Istanbul despite its far location, Esenyurt. The museum opened its doors in 2013 and takes you on an adventure starting with the history of chocolate-making. Make sure to see the hundreds of objects made from chocolate including Hagia Sophia, Galata Tower, Leander’s Tower, and even a chocolate village! In addition, there is a small chocolate workshop for children. It is believed that more than three tons of chocolate were used in the making of the museum and do not miss this unique museum that is not only for children, but also for adults!

One of the most beautiful monuments of Constantinople is this granite monolith, the Column of the Goths. It can be found immediately north of the famous Topkapı Palace, overlooking the Bosphorus. The monument, which stands fifteen meter tall, was erected somewhere between the mid-third and mid-fourth century. According to the inscription, it was erected to commemorate how the Romans had defeated the Goths. The Byzantine author Nicephorus Gregoras says that on top of the column stood a statue of the legendary founder of Byzantium, king Byzas.

Located between the Dolmabahçe Palace and Dolmabahçe Mosque Dolmabahçe Clock Tower was commissioned by Ottoman sultan Abdülhamid II in 1890. The construction of the clock tower finished in 1895 and according to the Ottoman archives, it cost 1,210,550 Mecidiye gold coins (approximately $350 million in 2021 values). Dolmabahçe Clock Tower was built by Armenian descent architect Sarkis Balyan, who was the son of Garabet Balyan - Dolmabahçe Palace’s architect. It is a very successful and classy blend of architectural styles of Neo-Baroque and Empirical. The height of the four-story tower is approximately 27 meters (89 feet) and it stands on a floor area of 8,5 x 8,5 meters (28 x 28 feet). It has four clocks on its four sides and they were produced by clock-master Johann Mayer. In 1979, the original mechanical clock was converted partly to an electrical one and its clocks are still functioning.

Situated at the southern end of the Dolmabahçe Palace complex the mosque was built by order of Bezmiâlem Sultan, the second wife of the Ottoman Sultan Mahmud II and the mother of Sultan Abdul Majeed I, who completed the construction of the mosque after the death of his mother. The mosque is commonly called the Dolmabahçe Mosque due to its location. It is a selâtin cami (imperial mosque), which means, it was built by a Sultan and the Sultan made the payments out of his own pocket. It was constructed between 1853 and 1855 by the architect Garabet Balyan who also supervised the construction of the Dolmabahçe Palace. The mosque’s architecture is a successful and classy blend of Baroque and Empire architectural styles. The main chamber of the mosque is relatively large and square in shape, each edge is 25 meters in length. Dolmabahçe Mosque has two long minarets with one şerefe (minaret balcony) each and they make them look like marble columns. From 1956-60 the mosque provided a venue for the Naval Museum, only resuming prayer services in 1967.

The Ottoman sultans shifted from Topkapi Palace to the newly built Dolmabahce in the 1850s. Designed by the renowned Armenian architect Garabet Balyan, it is the largest and most extravagant of all the palaces on the Bosphorus – especially the Ceremonial Hall with its famous Bohemian crystal chandelier glowing with 750 lamps, gifted by Queen Victoria. The true reason behind the construction of Dolmabahçe Palace was to cover up that the Ottoman Empire was in decline. Therefore, the new palace had to be lavishly decorated to impress the world. The result is a two-floor palace, covering an area of 45.000 m². Fourteen tons of gold were used to gild the ceilings. It also has the largest collection of Bohemian and Baccarat crystal chandeliers in the world. Starting with the move of the administrative center of the Ottoman Empire from Topkapi Palace in 1856, the Dolmabahçe Palace was home to six sultans. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the Turkish Republic, used the palace as a presidential house in the summer. Troubled by health problems, he spent his last years in the palace until he died at 09.05 on November 10, 1938. In his honor, all the clocks in the palace are stopped at that exact time. The room in which he died is part of one of the palace tours.

The Egyptian Bazaar, otherwise known as the Spice Bazaar, is the place to lay in a fresh supply of spices, nuts, honeycomb, Turkish delight, dried figs, caviar and mature hard Turkish cheese. The Spice Bazaar was built in 1664 as an extension of the New Mosque (Yeni Camii) complex, and its revenues helped support the upkeep of the mosque and its philanthropic institutions such as a school, a hospital and several baths. The market was called Mısır Çarşısı (literally translated Egyptian Market) because the story goes that it was built with money paid as duty on Egyptian imports. The annual ‘Cairo caravan’ would bring along spices from Egypt, just like Istanbul located on the trade route between the East and Europe.

The Eyüp Sultan Mosque is one of the most holy and important mosques in all of Turkey. It is so revered because it located on the site of the tomb of Abu Ayyub al-Ansari (Eyüp Ensari in Turkish) – who was both a friend and standard bearer for the Prophet Muhammed. The mosque was erected on the instruction of Fatih Sultan Mehmet II (aka Mehmet The Conqueror), five years after he seized Constantinople for the Ottomans in 1453. However it fell into disrepair and was further ruined by earthquakes. It was rebuilt in a Baroque style using attractive pale honey-colored stone in 1800. The interior is elegant in design and the decorated dome of Eyup Sultan Mosque measures 17.5m in diameter and is supported by two half domes.

Fatih Mosque was established between 1463 AD - 1470 AD, and it was part of the largest university in addition to sixteen colleges with Dar Al-Shifa (Nursing house), the guest house, and the library, all of which are located within what is known today in the Fatih district in Istanbul. The Mosque is one of the most beautiful archaeological and religious sites in Istanbul, and its current form is not the one on which it was built, due to the massive earthquake that struck Istanbul in 1766 AD, which led to its destruction, so it was rebuilt by the architect Muhammad Tahir Agha by order of Sultan Mustafa III in 1767 CE. It was built differently from what it was, and the only thing left of the old mosque was the inner courtyard surrounded by a portico covered with twenty-two domes supported by eighteen columns, in addition to the mihrab.

Flower passage originally started life as a theater in the 1800’s, then converted into rows of posh shops after a fire. During the Russian revolution of 1917, people fleeing Russia often came to Istanbul and many impoverished Russian noblewomen, including the Baroness, sold flowers in this passage. By the 1940s, the building was mostly occupied by flower shops, which gave it its current Turkish name Flower Passage. After the 1940s, beer houses and meyhanes settled into the building and then the flower shops had to leave the building and moved to somewhere else. Later on, only the name “Flower” was left on the name of the building. The building underwent a major renovation in 1988 and re-opened with its restaurants, taverns and pubs. In 2005 the roof and all the other visual parts were restored. Today, with its brilliant architecture, the Flower Passage is still one of the most stylish buildings of Beyoğlu district.

The Galata Bridge (Galata Köprüsü) is a 490 meter long drawbridge found in the Golden Horn estuary, which unites the old Istanbul with its more modern area. The first bridge over the mouth of the Golden Horn was constructed in 1845. Several years later in 1863, Napoleon II’s arrival meant that it was substituted for a wooden construction, and afterwards other bridges were built in 1875 and 1912, and in 1992 the bridge you can see today was constructed.

Dating back to 1491 and has become a museum in 1975 under the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Turkey, the Galata Mevlevi Lodge (Galata Mevlevihanesi) is an exciting museum showcases variety of Turkish calligraphic art items, music items and items belonging to the Mevlevi culture. The museum complex of the Galata Mevlevi Lodge entails real properties of culture that still exist today. When you visit the museum of Galata Mevlevi Lodge, you’ll be informed about the lodge life, architecture and Mevlevi culture. Visitors will discover the lodge by means of an art academy and also will have a chance to relax in its peaceful environment. There used to be Whirling Dervishes Performance which takes place every Sunday at the Galata Mevlevi Lodge but after COVID days there is no info about the shows.

Galata Tower is one of the symbols of Istanbul and it is situated in Galata, on a hill seeing the historical peninsula of Istanbul. The origin of the Galata Tower goes back to the fifth century CE when Byzantines built a wooden tower named Magalos Pyrgos (Great Tower) in order to control the city of Constantinople and the Golden Horn. Due to the fires, earthquakes, and the Sack of Constantinople by the Fourth Crusaders in 1204 the wooden tower was completely destroyed. In 1348, the Genoese community built today’s Galata Tower and named it Christea Turris (Tower of Christ). 67 meters long - Galata Tower was the tallest building in Istanbul until the construction of Beyazıt Tower in 1749. During the Ottoman period, Galata Tower functioned as a jail, observatory house, and watchtower. Today, the tower functions as a 360-degree viewing platform of Istanbul.

Located prominently in the Sultanahmet square of Istanbul, the Kaiser Wilhelm II fountain looks beautiful and inviting. It was commissioned by German Emperor Wilhelm II, after which it has been named. Made in Germany, in the neo-Byzantine style and ornamented inside with gold mosaic, it was erected in Istanbul in 1901 on Kaiser Wilhelm II’s birthday in order to symbolize the peaceful relations between Germany and Turkey.

Originally a Roman triumphal arch built beyond the 4th century Constantinian walls of the city, the arch was incorporated into the 5th century Theodosian walls and became the triumphal entry way into the city. In its hey-day, sheathed with golden plates and decorated with figures of victory and huge statues of elephants, the Golden Gate became the ceremonial entrance to the city. Located at the southern end of the massive land walls, the Golden Gate is a shadow of its former self. Some writers maintain it was bricked up by the Byzantines for defensive reasons; others by Mehmet the Conqueror against the prophetic return of Constantine XI Palailogos, the last emperor, who died defending the city. In legend he is buried near the gate and will someday rise to reclaim the city.

One of the oldest markets in the world, the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul or the Kapalicarsi (“covered bazaar”) has more than 58 covered streets and more than 4,000 shops. Anywhere from a quarter to half a million visitors come here daily. The Grand Bazaar was built from 1455 to 1461 and has been open ever since. It is famed for its exquisite Turkish jewelry, silver decoration pieces, spices, Turkish delights (famous Turkish sweets), pottery and carpet shops. Visitors can also find leather goods, gold and diamond jewelry, as well as clothing here in rich supply.

Çamlıca Mosque, the 63,000-capacity mosque - that can be easily viewed from every corner of the city, was laid on August 6, 2013 and opened to worship on March 7, 2019. It is not only a mosque but also a complex, which includes a museum of Turkish Islamic art, a library, an art gallery, a conference hall, workshops as well as a car park with a 3,500-car capacity. It has six minarets representing the six beliefs of Islam. Four minarets are 107.1 meters tall, a tribute to the 1071 Manzikert victory of the Seljuk Turks against the Byzantine army that opened up Anatolia for Turkish domination. Its 72-meter high main dome represents 72 nations living in the city. The second dome with a diameter of 34 meters represents the car license number plate of Istanbul. There are 16 names of Allah inscribed inside the dome, symbolizing the number of states founded by Turks.

The Great Palace Mosaics Museum, also known as Istanbul Mosaic Museum, is an impressive mosaics museum that hosts one of the most beautiful mosaics in the world, that were preserved from the Great Palace of Constantinople, during the East Roman period from 610 until 641 A.C.. Especially the ones dated to AD 450-550. During the East Roman period, artists have made a huge mosaic with 40,000 pieces to the ground that covers 1,870 square meters. And afterwards, during the 7th and 8th century, the ground mosaics were covered with huge marble panels and they were forgotten until they were revealed in 1921. During the era of the Ottoman Empire, due the possible danger that may come from the sea, the Ottoman palaces were moved to Golden Horn region and a residential district was established over the area of the mosaics (having no idea that they were there), with the order of Fatih Sultan Mehmed, the conqueror of Istanbul. And after a big fire on this Ottoman residential area, those hidden mosaics have shown up. Diggings and excavation works started in the year 1921, continued in between 1935-1951 and finally the mosaics and the remnants of the Byzantine palaces have been revealed. And so the site was declared as the Great Palace Mosaics Museum in 1997.

Adjacent to the Topkapı Palace, for centuries the park served as the outer garden of the Ottoman imperial palace - Topkapı Palace - and was not open to the public. Until 1912, Gülhane Park was an imperial park, yet it was opened to the public in 1912. Since 1912, it has served as an urban park with its hundreds of years old walnut and oak trees. Do not miss this magnificent park surrounded by the most important museums and monuments of Istanbul.

Hagia Irene is one of the oldest Byzantine churches in Istanbul, was first built as a basilica with three naves, on the order of during the reign of Constantinos the Great (306–337), on top of a temple, out of wood. After the Nica riot during the rule of Emperor Justinianus in 532, both Hagia Irene and Hagia Sophia burned down and all were reconstructed. And afterwards, it also had damages due to the earthquake and was restored again in 740. The upper structure of Hagia Irene was completely renovated during the restorations of the Byzantine period and it gained its today’s appearance as a domed church with a basilica plan. Hagia Irene is now a museum today and also a venue for cultural activities and exhibitions. The high quality acoustic architecture makes Hagia Irene a great place for classical music events.

Hagia Sophia, Turkish Ayasofya, Latin Sancta Sophia, also called Church of the Holy Wisdom or Church of the Divine Wisdom, an important Byzantine structure in Istanbul and one of the world’s great monuments. It was built as a Christian church in the 6th century CE (532–537) under the direction of the Byzantine emperor Justinian I and was converted into a mosque by Fatih Sultan Mehmet after the conquest of Istanbul in 1453. In subsequent centuries Hagia Sophia was once an Orthodox patriarchal basilica, then a mosque, a museum since 1935, and a mosque back again in 2020. With its breathtaking domes that look like hanging in the air, monolithic marble columns and unparalleled mosaics,it is one of the wonders of the world’s architectural history. Hagia Sophia fascinates people not only with its awe-inspiring architectural design, but also by its gold-plated, silver-plated, glass, terracotta and colored stone mosaics, and the original ceiling mosaics of the 6th century. It also has 104 columns, some of which are brought from ancient cities. The "Omphalion” section where the emperors were crowned stands out with marble workmanship like these pillars. Located in the Sultanahmet neighborhood, Hagia Sophia is, without doubt, one of the best examples of Byzantine architecture and was declared a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1985.

The bath, built in the name of the most prominent person of Harem, the wife of Kanuni, Hürrem Sultan. “Ayasofya Hurrem Sultan Hamam” was built on the site of historical Baths of Zeuxippus which were demolished in 532. It is located between the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. The Hamam, which was built by architect Mimar Sinan, had been open until 1910 and then it remained closed for a long time. The 75 m (246 ft) long structure is designed in the style of classical Ottoman baths and has two symmetrical separate sections. With a new idea in Turkish bath architecture, for the first time, female and male sections were on the same axis.

The Palace was built back in the 15th or 16th century during the reign of Bayezid II. When exactly it was constructed is unknown, but it is known that it was given to Pargali Ibrahim Pasha by Suleiman the Magnificent, who was his second grand vizier. It was then named Ibrahim Pasha Palace and following Ibrahim Pasha’s passing, the palace retained its name and became a government asset for the next 250 years. It witnessed many different historical events like large weddings, festivals and celebrations, as well as riots and rebellions. After Ibrahim Pasha, it was given to various government officials who were married into the royal family. Today, Ibrahim Pasha Palace is the only remaining private palace from the Ottomans. After functioning as a prison, registry, janissary house, barracks, embassy and tailoring workshop throughout its history, Ibrahim Pasha Palace today houses the Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum.

Ihlamur Pavilion or the well-known Linden Palace is a summer palace and one of the most cherished palaces of Ottoman. It was named after the linden trees that adorn the ornamental gardens it’s located in. This smaller depiction of Dolmabahçe Palace is located in the Ihlamur Valley. The history of the pavilion dates back to 18th century, era when Ihlamur valley was called as “Hacı Hüseyin Bağları (vineyard)” after its owner, one of the superintendents of the navy yard, Hacı Hüseyin Ağa. Later, in the period of Sultan Ahmed III, the area became a court garden but it started being used for this purpose during the reigns of Sultan Ahdülhamid I (1774-1789) and Selim III (1789-1807). Despite the transformation of the area into a court garden it continued to be known by the same name until the second half of the nineteenth century. During the reign of Sultan Abdülmecid I the imperial palace of Ihlamur was constructed, 1849 and 1855, designed by one of the most renowned architects Nikogos Balyan. Built along the lines of Dolmabahçe you will find this palace containing two mansions, that are together known as “Ihlamur Pavilions”. Currently, the pavilions are under the support of the Turkish Department of National Palaces and are open to the public as a museum.

The Istanbul Archaeological Museum complex is one of the most underrated museums of Istanbul and actually consists of three museums: the Archaeology Museum, the Ancient Orient Museum, and the Islamic Art Museum (also known as the Tiled Kiosk Museum). It was founded by a master painter, Osman Hamdi Bey in 1875, in response to the removal of many of Turkey’s ancient artifacts destined for European museums. Besides its importance as the first Turkish museum, it remains one of the world’s largest museums with over one million works. Opened to the public in 1891, it houses a collection of Greek, Roman and Byzantine artifacts.

Istanbul Modern, also called as Istanbul Museum of Modern Art is the first private museum of Turkey that hosts modern and contemporary art exhibitions. One of the best museums in Istanbul especially for modern art lovers. The museum has recently become Turkey’s most popular and distinguished modern art museum.You’ll see permanent and temporary exhibitions from the early 20th century to the present day, a photography gallery, and several areas for educational and social programs. Abstract art works, landscape paintings and watercolor works are among the best works.

The Museum of Islamic Science and History of Technology is an impressive and fantastic museum displaying examples of copies of some of the inventions of Islamic Civilization during the creative period between the 9th and 16th centuries. The museum is a unique one in the world, where visitors may see the evolution of the different scientific branches in Islamic civilization. The museum was opened in 2008 and is situated in the former Imperial Stables building in Gulhane Park, on the skirts of the Topkapi Palace Museum. It is set on a 3,500 square meters exhibition area and showcases a total of 570 samples of tools and devices, as well as model collections. With these specialties, it is the first museum in Turkey, and second in the world after the one in Frankfurt.

Istanbul Railway Museum, located in the historical Istanbul Sirkeci Terminal, Fatih district, is owned and operated by the Turkish State Railways (TCDD). It was opened to visitors on 23 September 2005. Sirkeci Station was the last stop of the Orient Express. The museum displays 300 objects: the original site plans, drawings, photos, railway equipment, furniture and silver services of the Orient Express, station office equipment, driver’s cab of an electric suburban train, communication tools of Rumeli railways and Trakia line, objects from the railway school and hospital in the 19th century. The foundation stone of Sirkeci Main Station was laid on 11 February 1888 and it was opened on 3 November 1890. Planned by the German architect and engineer A. Jasmund, the building’s style was inspired by local architectural traditions.

Istanbul Toy Museum, founded by the Turkish poet and writer Sunay Akın, is a one-of-a-kind place and an instant charmer for kids and adults alike. The artist’s private collection of toys, gathered from the auctions and antique shops from around the world, is now on display at an exquisite old wooden mansion on a side street just off the Bağdat Caddesi, the city’s main luxury shopping strip on the Asian side. Thousands of toys, some of which date back to the 1700s, have been organized into informative and entertaining scenes by a stage designer. Kids could learn about humanity’s quest for going to the moon at a section dedicated to space toys, while they would be informed about the industrial revolution at the section where classic toy trains are displayed. Regular theater acts and workshops for kids are also organized by the museum, where they could learn how to build toys, robots, and origami or discover the secrets of nature and space.

Consisting of a mosque, a madrassah (Islamic school), a hammam, a tomb and a fountain, this vast complex was designed and built between 1580-87 by celebrated architect Mimar Sinan, who at the time was in his nineties. The complex is named after Italian-born Kılıç Ali Pasha (Ali the Sword), who, after being pressed into service as a galley-rower in the mid-16th century, rose through the ranks of the Ottoman navy to become Grand Admiral of the Ottoman Empire. Like other Grand Admirals, he built his mosque complex in the area of the Ottoman naval docks and arsenal known as Tophane-i Amire, the surviving 15th-century portion of which is right across the street. The mosque itself was designed as – quite obviously, despite some slight differences – almost a scaled-down replica of the Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia). It’s a wonderful place to visit; much less crowded, yet as impressive as other famous mosques – so if you have limited time and want to see one of Istanbul’s houses of worship, then this would be a good choice.

Called the "Garden of Lamps" in Ottoman times, the royal garden at Kucuksu was much loved by Murat IV (1623-1640), who called it the "Silver Cypress." Beginning in the 17th century, particularly in the beginning of the 18th century, there was a great deal of construction here. During the reign of Mahmut I (1730-1754) Divittar Mehmet Pasha had a two-story wooden palace built on the shore of the royal garden. It was repaired and used during the reigns of Selim III (1789-1807) and Mehmet II (1808-1839). The New Kucuksu Summer Palace, a three-story, stacked palace built by the architect Nikogos Balyan, was opened in 1857. The bottom floor contained the pantry, the kitchen, and the servants’ quarters. The other two floors had an open area with four rooms opening into it, a traditional Turkish house plan. The building has endured until today with periodical repairs, though the old palace and several additions have been torn down. After the Republic was established, the palace was used as a State guest house. Today it serves as a museum.

Little Hagia Sophia, a former Greek Orthodox church during the Byzantine period, currently functions as a mosque. The original name of Little Hagia Sophia was “The Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus” which was dedicated to two young saints: St. Sergius and St. Bacchus. The Church of Sts. Sergius and Bacchus was built in 536 CE by Justinian I, who also built Hagia Sophia, Underground Cistern, and many other important landmarks. Therefore, Justinian I is also called “Justinian the Builder.” The church was converted into a mosque in 1513, sixty years after the conquest of Constantinople. Today, the temple functions as a mosque and welcomes visitors everyday except prayer times.

The Maiden's Tower is a tower lying on a small islet located at the southern entrance of the Bosphorus strait 200 m from the coast of Üsküdar in Istanbul, Turkey. Since the times of Ancient Greece, it has served as a fort, a crypt, a tower for commercial observation, a tax collection center, a lighthouse, a quarantine hospital, and even made a cameo in the James Bond film, "The World Is Not Enough". The lighthouse is still in working order, but on the first floor, a restaurant is operating, and on the top is a coffee shop providing sweeping views over the Bosphorus Strait. You can get a hot or cold drink – and, of course, you’ll have an opportunity to visit a little museum. Apparently, the tower has a legend linked to it. Story has it that a powerful emperor built it to protect his beloved daughter from death after hearing a prophecy that she would die by a snake bite. Sadly, the snake did find its way to the tower eventually (inside a basket of fruits) and reportedly bit and killed the princess. In reality, however, it is far more likely that the place was built as a lighthouse to warn the ships entering the Bosphorus about the rocky islet the tower sits upon.

Suleiman the Magnificent was the tenth Sultan of the Ottoman Empire . In the west, he was known as Suleiman the Magnificent and in the east, he was known as Sultan Suleiman the Lawmaker for his righteous reign. He ruled as the Sultan from 1520 until his death in 1566 and embarked on 13 military campaigns. He spent 10 years and one month in total for these military campaigns during his reign. Thus, Suleiman was the longest reigning Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, who had the highest number of military campaigns and spent the longest time on these campaigns. The mausoleum or tomb of Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent is located inside the Süleymaniye Mosque complex. It is located inside the walled enclosure behind the qibla wall of the mosque along with the mausoleums of his wife Hurrem Sultan (Roxelana). The mausoleum is surrounded by a peristyle with a roof supported by 24 columns and has the entrance facing east rather than the usual north. Under the portico on either side of the entrance are Iznik tiled panels. These are the earliest tiles that are decorated with the bright emerald green colour that would become a common feature of Iznik ceramics.

The Mihrimah Mosque, which is not to be confused with the Mihrimah Sultan Mosque in the European side, was built in 1547-48 by Mimar Sinan for the daughter of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. It is located across the Üsküdar port, which is why it is also called “Iskele Camii”. The mosque complex consists of the “Sibyan” (Theological School for Children), the tomb of Osman Ağa, the son of Mihrimah and Grand Vizier Rüştem Paşa, and the medrese, which contains sixteen rooms and now serves as a health center. The most impressive architectural features of the mosque are probably the two minarets and the prayer niche. The main dome of the mosque is flanked on three sides by half-domes. It is the first work of the architect of floating domes. At the time of construction, the entrance terrace was above the sea. Over time, the shore was expanded and the Bosphorus moved further into the distance.

Built in the 1560s, the Mihrimah Sultan Mosque Complex in Edirnekapı was commissioned by the famous Ottoman sultan Süleyman I (Süleyman the Magnificent) for his favorite daughter Princess Mihrimah. The structure was built by talented chief architect Mimar Sinan and similar to other Ottoman imperial mosques, this structure was built as a mosque complex including a madrasa (religious high school), hamam, tomb, and a row of shops underneath the mosque. Unfortunately, shops are not surviving. In terms of architecture, Mihrimah Sultan Mosque in Edirnekapı is unique, because the whole mosque is covered with a monumental dome 37 meters in height and 20 meters in diameter. In addition, the surface area of the mosque is decorated with hundreds of windows and these characteristics of the mosque make it one of the brightest Ottoman mosques.

The Military Museum is one of the largest museums in Istanbul located in a former 19th-century military school 1km north of Taksim has a huge collection of militaria dating from the 13th century to recent times. Objects include everything from Ottoman armor to Atatürk’s underwear. Sadly, many exhibits (most notably the WWI rooms) lack English labeling. The large museum is spread over two floors. On the ground floor are displays of weapons and Turkish military uniforms through the ages and old-fashioned dioramas of major battles, including one of the Conquest. The upper floor has a hall devoted to Atatürk, who was a famous Ottoman general before he became founder and commander-in-chief of the republican army and first president of the Turkish Republic.

Miniatürk or Miniature Turkey Park is the largest miniature park in the world with its 60,000 square meter area, where models of various works in Turkey are exhibited . It is located in an old park area on the shore of the Golden Horn . Miniatürk, whose foundation was laid on 30 June 2001, was opened to visitors on 2 May 2003 with the slogan "A Small Model of the Big Country", became the showcase of Turkey . models were included. The voice guidance system next to the works is also implemented for the first time in Miniaturk. The system provides information in nine different languages. Taking its power and beauty from the 3000-year-old civilizations behind it, Miniaturk is not only a pleasant sightseeing park, but also a cultural and social responsibility project. Panorama Victory Museum and Kristal Istanbul Museums are also included in Miniaturk.

The Istanbul Naval Museum was first found in 1897 by the head of the Turkish Navy in Istanbul. It is the country’s first and largest military museum. With around 20,000 pieces in its collection it is Turkey's largest maritime museum. The main exhibition building has 3 floors and has an area of 1500 m². The 4 large halls and 17 rooms in the building were used as exhibition areas and the halls were named after the wind directions. You can find anything related to navy in the Maritime Museum including military artifacts from the Ottoman Navy, ship’s figureheads, ship models, pieces of the Byzantine chain used to block entrance into the Golden Horn and other maritime-related objects. Museum houses many collections, exhibitions and archives. Among its collections are Ataturk’s belongings, historical boats, wood pieces, metal objects, textiles, naval paper pieces, stone and plastic art works. There is also a Naval Specialization Library which includes 23.385 national and foreign sources about the naval history of Turkey. National sources involve 7787 rare printed books in Ottoman language.

In Istanbul, “new” is relative. The New Mosque, or Yeni Cami, is new in the sense that it’s newer than Hagia Sophia (built in 537), the Blue Mosque (1616), and Suleymaniye Mosque (1558). But it’s also not so new in the sense it was completed in 1665. Begun on orders of Valide Sultan Safiye, mother of Sultan Mehmet III (1595-1603), work stopped when the sultan died and his mother lost her powerful position as the Queen Mother (Valide Sultan). The unfinished building was abandoned for more than a half century, and the derelict structure even caught fire in 1660. That same year the mother of Sultan Mehmet IV, Queen Mother Turhan Hatice, decided to complete the mosque. Three years later (1663) it was finished, having been constructed following the original architectural plans drawn up by a student of the great Mimar Sinan. Like all of Istanbul’s imperial mosques, the Yeni Cami was a complex of other buildings, including a hospital, Turkish bath, school, library, astronomer’s office, public fountains and a market—the Egyptian (Spice) Bazaar. Most of these buildings are gone, but the market remains, as does the tomb of the mosque’s founder, Turhan Hatice Hanım, which also contains the remains of her son Sultan Mehmet IV, as well as the later sultans Mustafa II, Ahmet III, Mahmut I, Osman III and Murat V.

Built in 1755, the Nuruosmaniye Mosque (Nuruosmaniye Camii) was commissioned by Ottoman sultan Mahmud I in 1749. However, Mahmud I passed away before the construction of the mosque. The mosque was completed in 1755 during the reign of Osman III and was named Nuruosmaniye “the light of Osman” due to large numbers of windows allowing a lot of light inside the mosque. The complex is considered the earliest example of Ottoman Baroque architecture due to its Baroque architectural elements such as exaggerated ornamentation, a large dome, focus to light, a lot of windows, niched mihrab looks like a church apse, and polygonal courtyard.

Located just before the Bosphorus Bridge, the Ortaköy Mosque has to have one of the most picturesque settings of all of the Istanbul mosques. Built on the sight of an 18th-century mosque, the current building was completed in 1855, to serve as the Grand Imperial Mosque to the Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid. It was designed by an Armenian architect, Garabet Balyan, and his son Nigoğayos Balyanl, who were also responsible for the nearby Dolmabahce Palace. It is neo-Baroque in style, with an ornate exterior, and large windows that allow light to flood into its plainer interior. The main chamber is small and square-shaped, its edge 12.25m in length. The ceiling is a dome shape, covered in pink mosaics. There are two tall minarets, each with a single sherefe (minaret balcony). Attached is the two storey Hünkar Kasrı (sultan’s summer palace). It has recently undergone a major renovation.

Panorama 1453 Museum of History, established by Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality in 2009, holds the title of ‘the world’s first full-panoramic museum’. As one of the most popular spots in Istanbul, the museum gives its visitors a chance to relive the conquest of Istanbul. Using 360-degree panorama paintings, 3D objects, and sound effects, the museum simulates significant historical events that occurred during the Ottoman empire. There’s even a helicopter simulation that transports you through ancient Turkey.

Pera Museum is a private museum that was founded by the Suna and Inan Kirac Foundation in 2005. The museum is located at Tepebasi, near Taksim, in an impressive historical building that was originally conceived as the Bristol Hotel. The museum showcases high quality culture and art services to its visitors such as paintings, tiles and ceramics. There are three permanent exhibitions at the Pera Museum Istanbul: 1) Orientalist Paintings – important works by European artists who were inspired by Ottoman culture. 2) Anatolian Weight and Measures – this surprisingly interesting section consists of thousands of pieces of measuring instruments from central Anatolia. 3) Kütahya Tiles and Ceramics – a chance to see the masterpieces and best examples of craftsmanship from Kütahya, a city famous for its talented tile and ceramic artists. There’s even a dedicated Turkish coffee section within it. There are also temporary exhibitions on the top three floors. The most famous Pera Museum exhibitions to date have included the Pera Museum Goya exhibition in 2012, the Pera Museum Andy Warhol exhibition in 2014, and other important artists.

The Istanbul Postal Museum, aka PTT Museum Istanbul, is a postal museum dedicated to the historical development of mail and telecommunication services in the Ottoman Empire and Turkey, exhibiting related equipment and instruments as well as a collection of postage stamps. It was established in 2000 by the Turkish Post, and is situated inside the Grand Post Office building at Sirkeci quarter of Fatih district in Istanbul, Turkey.

The Rahmi M. Koc Museum (Rahmi M. Koç Müzesi) is situated on the north side of the historic Golden Horn in Istanbul. Conceived by the Koç family, it’s the only major museum in Turkey dedicated to the history of transport, industry, and communications. The museum is divided into two parts; a new building on the Golden Horn side, and a converted Byzantine stone building right opposite. Its collection features thousands of items, most of which are from Mr. Rahmi M. Koç’s private collection. These items include full-size ships, vintage aircrafts, steam engines, submarines, agricultural machinery, and many more artifacts from İstanbul’s industrial past. The eclectic exhibits at the Rahmi M Koç Museum are particularly popular with children, as there are opportunities to sit in a classic car, take a cruise on a 1936 steam tug (summer weekends only), hop aboard a 1944 US naval submarine, and much more besides.

Rumeli Castle is an Ottoman fortress dating to 1452. It was built by Ottoman sultan Mehmed II (Mehmed the Conqueror) in preparation for the conquest of Constantinople. The castle is situated on the shore of the Bosphorus Strait at its narrowest point with approximately 660 meters. It is just opposite of Anadolu Castle (Anadolu Hisarı) which is another Ottoman castle built-in 1394 by Bayezid I. Both Anadolu Castle and Rumeli Castle were built by Ottoman sultans in order to prevent military and economic aid to the Byzantine Empire coming from the north, Black Sea. After the conquest of Constantinople in 1453, the castle lost its military importance and served as a customs checkpoint until the seventeenth century and then as a prison until the nineteenth century. In the nineteenth century, a neighborhood was formed inside the castle with its houses, mosques, shops, and so on. However, this neighborhood was destroyed in the 1950s. Since 1960 the Rumeli Castle functioned as a museum and this magnificent castle is open to the public as an open-air museum.

One of the smaller mosques in the city with one minaret presents a very beautiful appearance in the middle of one of the city's most active trade districts, with the Suleymaniye mosque rising behind it. The Mosque was designed by the famous Ottoman architect, Mimar Sinan for Rustem Paşa, who served as Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire under Sultan Suleiman I. However, he died in 1561, before it could be completed in 1563. What makes this mosque stand out is the gorgeous interior: like the Suleymaniye Mosque, also a brainchild of Sinan, ceramic tiles from Iznik were used to decorate Rüstem Paşa. However, unlike any other mosque, Rüstem Paşa isn’t just decorated with ornate tiles: it is covered in the greatest collection of Iznik’s best tiles. From top to bottom, inside and out, the Mosque wears tiles of cobalt, emerald, sage green, manganese purple, and red. These intricately designed blue tiles come in a wide variety of floral and geometric patterns.

Şakirin Mosque is considered the most modern mosque in Turkey. The mosque, which opened on May 8, 2009, has a capacity for 500 people and was funded by the Şakir family. It is internationally known as the first mosque designed by a woman: the art historian and interior designer Zeynep Fadillioglu, who was the lead architect of the mosque’s interior design.The mosque, located in Üsküdar on the Asian side of Istanbul, breaks many taboos. The facades are wide open and consist of glass and decorative metalwork instead of walls. The prayer niche is a turquoise arch. The low-hanging chandelier is a unique feature, with drops hanging, symbolizing the reflection of a prayer, meaning that Allah’s light should fall on the worshiper like rain. A unique feature of the mosque is the fact that women have the most beautiful place to pray. Women sit on a light-flooded dome and enter the mosque like men through the main entrance. Altogether, the interior designer broke with the traditions of Ottoman architecture and even acted in a revolutionary way with some new ideas. But Islamic norms were also followed, for example the three low-hanging chandeliers are engraved with the 99 names of Allah and the sura “Nur” from the Quran.

The Sehzade Mosque is an Ottoman era mosque located in the Fatih district, on the third hill of Istanbul. Sulayman the Magnificent commissioned the mosque to commemorate his favorite son Şehzade Mehmed, who died aged only 21. It is sometimes referred to as the ‘Prince’s Mosque’. Mehmed was the eldest of Sulayman’s sons by his wife Hurrem, more commonly known as Roxelana. His exact cause of death is unknown, some are of the opinion he died from smallpox while others believe he was actually murdered.

The charming Şemsi Pasha Mosque and its complex are located directly on the waterfront of Üsküdar. It was built in 1580 according to a draft by Mimar Sinan for Grand Vizier Şemsi Ahmet Pasha. It is the smallest construction in the career of the architect and is quite modest in size and decor. Inside the complex is the tomb of the Vizier and a former medrese, which now serves as a public library. The mosque’s small rooms are decorated with beautiful stained-glass windows and suras from the Qur’an. The garden offers a sensational view of the Bosphorus and the European side.

Sepetciler Pavilion, constructed by Sultan Ibrahim in 1643 on the old Byzantine castle walls, today serves as the Headquarters of the Green Crescent. Of all the structures that stood on the coast and in the outer garden of Topkapı Palace in its history, only Sepetçiler Pavilion has survived to the present day. The red marble used for its construction was brought from Darıca and Rusçuk, the tiles came from Iznik, and the iron components and nails came from Samakoy and Thessaloniki. According to an inscription on the door arch of the pavilion, the Pavilion was within the boundaries of Topkapı Palace at the time of its construction, and was renovated in 1739 during the reign of Sultan Mahmut I (1730–1754). The building underwent further repairs in the mid-XIX century, and while these renovations did not change the architectural style of the structure, in a photograph taken during the Crimean War, Sepetciler Pavilion resembles a barracks.

The column was brought from Delphi where it was placed next to the altar of Apollo. It was made in the honor of winning the Platea war (BC 479) against the Persians whose shields were melted to make the column. The artifact, which has lost many parts, has been standing in Sultanahmet square for centuries.The three snakeheads on the column were in normal conditions until the 16th-17th century and were later destroyed. One of the snakeheads was found during an excavation in the 19th century and it is on display at the Istanbul Archaeological Museums.

Locally known as Sent Antuan, the church of St. Anthony of Padua is the largest church of the Roman Catholic Church in Istanbul, Turkey. Built between 1906 and 1912, at the site where it stands today, this church looks stunning with its Venetian Neo-Gothic style of architecture. Designed by the Istanbulite Levantine architect Giulio Mongeri, who also designed many other important buildings in Istanbul and Ankara, this church adds to the artistic beauty and religious faith of Istanbul.

Pammakaristos Church, also known as the Church of Theotokos Pammakaristos (Joyous Mother of God), later known as Fethiye Camii (Fethiye Mosque) and today a museum, is one of the most famous Byzantine churches in Istanbul that has the largest amount of Byzantine mosaics after the Hagia Sophia and Chora Church in Istanbul. The interior of the building contains the restored remains of a number of mosaic panels, which, while not as varied and well-preserved as those of the Chora Church, serve as another resource for understanding late Byzantine art. According to most resources, the church was built in 1292 by Ioannes Komnenos, a member of the Byzantine royal family, and his wife Anna Doukaina.

The Bulgarian St. Stephen Church is also known as The Iron Church, since its structure is made of Cast Iron. The church belongs to Bulgarian minority who live in the city of Istanbul. During the 19th century, the Bulgarians were permitted by the Ottomans to construct a separate church for themselves, due to nationalistic movements. The church is richly ornamented, and is constructed like a cross shaped Basilica. The original church was a wooden structure, constructed near the Golden Horn, and the current church’s altar faces the Golden Horn. The cast iron building was put in place in Istanbul in 1871 after the wooden church was destroyed in a fire, but it wasn’t originally built in the city. The church was actually put together (in cast iron) in Vienna and mounted on the shore of the Golden Horn. St Stephens Church is one of the few surviving cast iron, prefabricated churches left in the world. Its patron saint is Saint Stephen, and on December 27th, a celebratory mass is held at the church. The dome has recently been gold plated by the Bulgarians of Plovdiv.

Built for Suleiman “The Magnificent” by the famous imperial architect Mimar Sinan in 1557, the Süleymaniye Mosque is modeled in part on the Hagia Sophia, and in part on a Byzantine basilica, in order to reflect the grandeur of the city’s past architectural monuments. In 1660, the Süleymaniye Mosque was ravaged by fire and was restored by Mehmet IV. Unfortunately, that restoration work had changed the mosque into a baroque-style structure and ruined the original architecture. The mosque has undergone many restorations ever since. The mosque complex consists of a caravanserai, an imaret (public kitchen), a madrassa (Islamic school), a hospital and a hammam. The public kitchen was constructed to serve food to the poor. The gardens behind the mosque consist of the tombs of Sultan Suleiman, his wife Roxelana, his mother Dilasub Saliham, his daughter Mihrimah and his sister Asiye. The tombs are fashioned on the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. The mosque is distinct from others as it contains the tomb of the great architect Sinan, designed by the occupant himself.

The Fountain of Ahmed III is a large historical fountain and is one of Istanbul’s most beautiful rococo buildings of the so-called Tulip era. The fountain was erected in 1728 on the site of the Byzantine fountain Perayton, during the reign of Sultan Ahmed III, in whose honor it got its name. The fountain is a large square block of white marble with a domed roof with five small domes, luxurious decorations and paintings. The overall image of the fountain looks like a richly decorated casket. The facade of each of the four sides of the fountain is decorated in its own way, with curls, vines and flowers. Fountains are located in the niches of the pavilion, above which there are large calligraphic plates with stanzas from a poem dedicated to water. The poem is read clockwise around the fountain, starting from the northern shebil. The last stanza of the poem on the northwest facade depicts the chronogram of Sultan Ahmed III.

The Sultanahmet Mosque was built between 1609 and 1617 and is also known as the Blue Mosque because of the blue tiles used to decorate the walls of its interior. The construction was commissioned by Sultan Ahmet I. The idea was to build a monument that would surpass Hagia Sophia. To show superiority over Hagia Sophia, the new mosque was placed close to it, on the exact same spot where the Great Palace of the Byzantine emperors was standing, using the existing foundations and vaults. The construction of the mosque started in August 1609. The architect in charge was Sedefkar Mehmet Ağa, a student of the great architect Sinan. The detailed workbook of the construction consists of 8 volumes and still lies in the Topkapi Palace library. The Sultanahmet Mosque represents a mixture of two styles – Byzantine Christian and traditional Islamic architectural elements. The mosque is known for its five main domes, eight secondary domes, and six minarets. It is one of only three mosques in Turkey with that many minarets. Far more breathtaking are the more than 20.000 handmade Iznik ceramic tiles, in more than 50 tulip designs, that decorate the interior walls of the mosque. Their color gives the place its popular name, the Blue Mosque. Despite being a very famous tourist attraction, it still functions as a mosque. Usually accessible 24 hours a day, the mosque is not open for tourists during prayer time five times a day, unless they are there to pray.

The former Hippodrome, known as the Atmeydan› (horse arena) during the Ottoman era, served as an athletic ground in Byzantine times. It was also used for horse and carriage races, always for the honor of the Emperor. After Sultan Ahmet the First (1609-1616) had the mosque built in his name, this historical ground was named after him, Sultanahmet. Now the Sultanahmet Square, surrounded by the famous Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts, is one of the most famous tourist areas in Istanbul, as well as a popular meeting point. The area is a very impressive tourist zone of the Sultanahmet neighborhood on the Historical Peninsula that leads to all historical sites around Sultanahmet. It is a very well known place for all Istanbul visitors, where they mostly head on for first, on their first day of Istanbul visit.

The mausoleum of Sultan Mahmud II is a family tomb of the Ottoman sultans in Istanbul, near which there is a cemetery with the graves of famous Ottoman politicians and writers. Today, the mausoleum with the cemetery is a landmark of Istanbul and they can be visited. The mausoleum was erected after the death of Mahmud II in 1839 by order of his son Sultan Abdul-Majid I. The mausoleum was built on land allocated by Mahmoud’s sister, Esme Sultan. The architects of the mausoleum were the Ottoman Armenian architects Bogos and Hovhannes Dadyan. The building was completed in 1840. Later , other sultans and members of the Ottoman dynasty were buried in the mausoleum: Bezmialem-Sultan, Abdul-Aziz, Abdul-Hamid II, Yusuf Izzeddin-efendi, Esma Sultan and others. The mausoleum-tomb in the Empire style is an octagonal building covered with marble. The dome of the mausoleum is decorated with relief wreaths and flowers. Inside the building there is a marble inscription written by calligrapher Mehmet Hashim. The crystal chandelier inside the tomb was sent by Queen Victoria I of the United Kingdom. The gilded wall clock in the mausoleum is a gift from the Emperor of France Napoleon III.

Every great city has a central square, and Istanbul does not disappoint. Meaning ‘division’ or ‘distribution,’ Taksim used to be the point where the main water lines from the north of the city were collected to be branched off to other parts of it. This square is a common meeting point for locals filled with restaurants, shops, and hotels, where you will truly experience modern Istanbul. Starting from the center of Taksim square, take a look at the monument of the Republic, crafted by the famous Italian sculptor Pietro Canonica. It commemorates the fifth anniversary of the foundation of the Republic of Turkey in 1923, following the Turkish War of Independence and features revolutionary leaders such as Atatürk and İsmet İnönü.

Tekfur Sarayı ("Palace of the Sovereign") was constructed during the late 13th or early 14th centuries as an annex to the Blachernae palace complex. According to the primary sources it was built during the reign of Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII Palaiologos (r. 1261-1282) for his son Prince Constantine “Porphyrogenitus.” Purple was the color of the Byzantine imperial family and porphyrogenitus -meaning literally “born to the purple” indicates a Byzantine prince born to a reigning emperor. The palace was an imperial residence during the final years of the Byzantine Empire, and was heavily damaged during the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople in 1453. During the Ottoman period, the structure functioned as a mini-zoo until the eighteenth century. In the eighteenth century, a ceramic tile workshop was established here and it produced ceramic and ceramic tiles until the mid-nineteenth century. In the 1850s onwards the palace was abandoned and left alone. Its monumental and three-story façade as well as most of its walls are still surviving. In addition, restoration and conservation projects started in 2010 for Tekfur Palace (Tekfur Sarayı) and are still continuing.

The Basilica Cistern construction was commissioned by Emperor Justinian I and built in 532. The largest surviving Byzantine cistern in İstanbul, is 143 meters long and 65 meters wide. Its roof is supported by 336 marble columns, each measuring 9 meters in length, and cistern itself is capable of holding 80,000 cubic meters of water. The cistern was forgotten for centuries and only accidentally rediscovered by the Frenchman Peter Gyllius in 1545. While researching Byzantine antiquities in the city, he noticed that people in the neighborhood not only got a hold of water by simply lowering buckets through holes in their basements, they miraculously sometimes even caught fish this way. The cistern was cleaned and renovated in 1985 by the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality and opened to the public in 1987. It’s now one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions.

The Bosphorus Bridge is one of two bridges that spans the Bosphorus Strait, connecting the European and Asian sides of Istanbul. At 1560 meters long, the Bosphorus Bridge was the fourth longest suspension bridge in the world when it opened in 1973 and was the first bridge to connect Europe and Asia since a bridge spanning the Dardanelles in 480 B.C. Today, it is the 21st longest suspension bridge in the world. In 2007, an LED lighting system was installed to illuminate the bridge at night and the computerized system is now used to create a colorful light show every evening. While the bridge is typically closed to pedestrians, it opens each October for the Istanbul Eurasia Marathon – the only marathon that crosses from one continent to another.

The Turkish word Kariye is derived from the ancient Greek word Chora meaning "outside of the city". It is known that there was a chapel outside of the city before the 5th century when the city walls were erected. The first Chora Church was rebuilt by Justinianus (527-565) in place of this chapel. Chora Church (Chora Kirke) was destroyed during the Latin invasion (1204-1261) and repaired in the reign of Andronikos II (1282-1328) by the Treasury Minister of the palace, Theodore Metochites (1313). It was expanded towards north, an exonarthex was added to its western side and a chapel (Parecclesion) to its southern side, and it was decorated with mosaics and frescoes. The mosaics and frescoes in the Chora are the most beautiful examples dating from the last period of the Byzantine painting (14th century). After continuing to serve as a church following the conquest of Istanbul in 1453, the building was converted into a mosque in 1511 by Vizier Hadim Ali Pasha. It was converted into a museum in 1945, and during the restoration in 1948-1959 carried out by the Byzantine Institute of America, the mosaics and frescoes were uncovered and brought to the daylight.

In 330 CE, Constantine I (Constantine the Great) officially inaugurated the city of Constantinople as the capital of the Byzantine Empire. According to primary sources, the Column of Constantine was also erected in 330 CE with Constantine’s order and it is an honorific column commemorating the foundation of Constantinople and Byzantine Empire (Eastern Roman Empire). For more than one thousand years, the column was standing in the center of the Forum of Constantine that was one of the most important centers of Byzantine Istanbul (Constantinople). Forum of Constantine was a circular forum with a public square, Column of Constantine, and a lot of shops, therefore everyday life of the forum was very active. Today, nothing remains of the Forum of Constantine, but the column is still standing.

The Harem apartment, where the Sultans lived with their families in private, was the dwelling of the members of the Ottoman Dynasty and the upper-class women of the Harem for centuries. It also functioned as a school with its own rules and hierarchy. It was a forbidden section where no one was allowed to enter except for Sultans, Sultan’s mother, wives and children, the Qadi, the Chief Consort, concubines and the harem guards . The harem contains nearly 300 rooms in total, many of which were added after a large fire took place here in 1665. Among the most striking buildings of Harem are; “The Privy Chamber of Murad III”, one of the important structures of Ottoman architecture Mimar Sinan’s work, “The Privy Chamber of Ahmed III also known as Fruit Room” one of the bright examples of The Tulip Era which created a flower garden effect and “The Twin Kiosk/Apartments of the Crown Prince”, known for its inside fountains.

The Museum of Innocence is named after the novel by Nobel Prize-winning author Orhan Pamuk. The museum, organized according to the plot in the novel, received the European Museum of the Year award in 2014. There is a nostalgic atmosphere in the museum, which reflects the Istanbul of the 70s and 80s. Although the Museum of Innocence is in essence a romance novel, it actually describes the change Istanbul has gone through over time. Orhan Pamuk has collected all the items used by the fictional characters in the novel and is now exhibiting them in the museum. The museum, which was established with the restoration of a historical building, is located in Cihangir, one of the coolest districts of Istanbul. Located on Cukurcuma Street, famous for its antique shops in Cihangir, the museum is also very close to Aga Hamami, the oldest bathhouse in Istanbul.

One of the three archeological museums near the Topkapi Palace, The Museum of the Ancient Orient exhibits many remarkable artifacts from the vast history of Anatolia, Egypt and Mesopotamia, located just in front of the main Archaeology Museum building. For its time, Ancient Orient Museum (and Istanbul Archeology Museums in general) was one the rarest examples of a building that was built solely for the purpose of being a museum. Some of the artifacts that deserve special attention are: Shalmaneser III: The large statue of the Assyrian king Shalmaneser is definitely a standout. He ruled his country between 858 – 824 BCE and the inscriptions on the statue tell about his titles, wars and characteristics. Egyptian Grave: Exhibited in a large glass box, this Egyptian grave has many contents: 2 coffins, mummies, canopic jars (which stored the organs of the mummified bodies in Ancient Egypt), head part of a coffin, baskets and a chest. Ptah – Seker Statues: These detailed wooden statues of the protector god Ptah and the god of cemetery Seker represent an Ancient Egyptian belief. They believed that putting an embalmed piece of a dead person’s body into a box, sealing it with wax and putting Ptah and Seker statues on top made the person immortal.

The first and the oldest monument on the Hippodrome is the Obelisk of Theodosius. Its age is estimated at about 3 500 years, which makes it the oldest ancient building in Istanbul. In 1500 BC, it was built under Pharaoh Thutmose III as a memorial stone for the victory in Mesopotamia and placed in front of the temple of Karnak in Luxor. In 390, the Byzantine Emperor Theodosius I brought the granite obelisk from Luxor into the city and had it stationed in the Hippodrome of Constantinople (known today as Sultanahmet Square). Its original length was approximately 33 meters, but had to be shortened on the way to Constantinople, so that it has a length of 25 meters today. It is supported by four bronze cubes and in the lower area is a pedestal made of marble. The bas-relief shows, among other things, images of Emperor Theodosius, the traditional chariot races and the construction of the obelisk. Latin and ancient Greek inscriptions can be found on all sides. The exploits of the god of the sun Amun-ReIn and Pharaoh Thutmose III are depicted in Egyptian hieroglyphs.

The Theodosius Cistern, believed to have been built under the reign of Byzantine emperor Theodosius II (428–43), was uncovered under an early 20th century mansion and a municipal building that was constructed in 1950. Measuring 1125 square-meters with its nine meter-high ceiling held up by 32 marble columns, the Theodosius Cistern is smaller, but approximately 100 years older than the nearby Basilica Cistern, which was built in 532 and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in İstanbul. A third underground reservoir in the same area, the Cistern of Philoxenos, dates to the fourth century. All three were part of a 250 km-long system that brought fresh water from the Belgrad Forest north of the city through the Aqueduct of Valens and eventually to the ornate drinking fountains that can still be seen scattered around İstanbul.

The Stone of Milion is all that remains of the 4th-century triumphal gate that served as the Byzantine zero-mile marker of all roads: all distances were measured from here. At the same time, it was the starting–point for the measurements of distances from Byzantine Constantinopolis to the European cities of the Eastern Roman Empire. The domed building of the Milion rested on four large arches, and it was expanded and decorated with several statues and paintings. It survived the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople in 1453 , however the structure was damaged during attempts to make the vault wider in the 16th century and the stone fell from its original place. During excavations in the 1960s, some partial fragments of it were discovered under houses in the area.

The tomb of Sultan Ahmet I, the Blue Mosque’s great patron, is on the north side of the mosque facing Sultanahmet Park. Ahmet, who had ascended to the imperial throne aged 13, died in 1617 aged only 27. The tomb was built between 1617 and 1619. It’s topped by a dome and is decorated with fine Iznik tiles. It contains beautiful examples of Ottoman woodwork, tile, and calligraphy, but its occupants are full of tragic tales, power struggles, and deceit. Sultan Ahmed I was the 14th Sultan of the Ottoman Empire (r. 1603-1617). He took the throne at the age of 13 and broke with the Ottoman tradition of fratricide upon his enthronement. Ahmed was pious and made many donations, especially to the holy places of Mecca and Medina. He built the great Blue Mosque near the Hagia Sophia. Of his seven sons, Osman II, Murad IV, and İbrahim I eventually succeeded to the throne. Buried with Ahmet are his wife, Kösem, who was strangled to death in the Topkapı Harem, and his sons, Sultan Osman II (r 1618–22), Sultan Murat IV (r 1623–40) and Prince Beyazıt (murdered by order of Murat).

The Walled Obelisk, also called the Constantine Obelisk or Masonry Obelisk can be seen at the south end of the Sultanahmet Square. Although its original construction date is unknown, the 32 m (105 ft) - high obelisk was reconstructed of roughly cut stones by Constantine VII in the 10th century. At that time, it was reportedly decorated with gilded bronze plaques that portrayed the victories of Basil I, the grandfather of Constantine VII, and had a sphere at its top. However, reportedly these gilded bronze plaques were stolen and melted down by Fourth Crusaders in 1204.

The Tiled Kiosk Museum was built in 1472 by Mehmet the Conqueror and is one of the oldest examples of Ottoman civilian architecture. The portico, which has 14 marble columns, was constructed during the reign of Sultan Abdül Hamit I (1774–89) after the original burned down in 1737. On display here are Seljuk, Anatolian and Ottoman tiles and ceramics dating from the end of the 12th century to the beginning of the 20th century. The collection includes İznik tiles from the period between the mid-14th and 17th centuries when that city produced the finest coloured tiles in the world. When you enter the central room you can’t miss the stunning mihrab from the İbrahim Bey İmâret in Karaman, built in 1432. The Kiosk was used as the Imperial Museum between 1875 and 1891. In 1953 it was opened to the public as a museum of Turkish and Islamic art, and was later incorporated into the Istanbul Archaeology Museums, housing the Museum of Islamic Art.

Hurrem Sultan or Roxolana was born in Ruthenia (then an eastern region of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine) around 1506, captured and sent to Istanbul as a slave around 1520, entered the "Royal Ottoman Harem" (part of the house reserved for women) as a servant, became a concubine and, finally, the legal wife of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, who received the first ever title of "Haseki Sultan" (Imperial wife). Hurrem Sultan gave birth to Sultan Suleiman 6 children, including the next Ottoman Sultan Selim II. Hurrem Sultan died on 15 April 1558 and was buried in a domed mausoleum decorated in exquisite Iznik tiles depicting the garden of paradise, perhaps in homage to her smiling and joyful nature. Inside the mausoleum, there are three graves. Largest tomb-stone belongs to the grave of Hurrem Sultan, wife of Sultan Suleiman, second belongs to Selim II and third belongs to Hanim Sultan, daughter of Hatice Sultan.

Tophane Fountain is located in Tophane, a quarter in the Beyoğlu district. It was commissioned by Sultan Mahmud I in 1732. As the third largest fountain in Istanbul, it has the highest walls. In the years between 1700 and 1740, it was common that monumental fountains with wide eaves were built in the middle of such squares. At that time, there was a transition from classical Ottoman style to European Baroque. The Tophane Fountain is one of the late works from this period. For its construction, all shops were torn down in order to keep the square as free as possible and to make the fountain the center of attention. In 2006, the fountain was restored by Sabancı Group Company. During the restoration works, the ornaments of the fountain were enriched with high-carat gold.

The Tophane Pavilion was built by the British architect William James Smith in 1852, during the reign of Abdulmejid, to accommodate visitors arriving at the Tophane Pier by sea. The building served sultans during their inspection of the military facilities in Tophane, and was also used to welcome foreign state officials arriving at the city by sea. Located between Nusretiye Mosque and Tophane Fountain, the Tophane Pavilion still stands as an important touristic destination in Karaköy, Istanbul. The two-story masonry structure is 10 meters to 22 meters in size, and its layout is in parallel with the coastline. The pavilion was a witness to several important events in its history. It is where the Sultan accepted Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia, younger brother of Tsar Alexander II, in 1858. The Greco-Turkish war of 1897 was also formally ended with a peace treaty signed in the Tophane Pavilion in the presence of ambassadors of the Great Powers.

Topkapi Palace Museum, an Unesco World Heritage since 1985, exhibits the imperial collections of the Ottoman Empire and maintains an extensive collection of books and manuscripts in its library. It is housed in a palace complex that served as the administrative center and residence of the imperial Ottoman court from about 1478 to 1856. About 30 sultans ruled from the Topkapı Palace for nearly four centuries, beginning with Mehmed II. He ordered the construction of the palace in the late 1450s, several years after conquering Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453. Medmed took up residence in 1478, and after his death successive sultans renovated and expanded the palace frequently, resulting in the palace’s medley of changing Islamic, Ottoman, and European architecture styles and decoration. The immense Topkapı Palace housed 1,000–4,000 inhabitants, including up to 300 in the harem. Mehmed’s original layout, which consisted of four consecutive courtyards surrounded by high walls, remains. Each courtyard served different purposes and was separated by a gate that incrementally restricted entry, culminating in the most-private third and fourth courtyards. When the palace became a museum in 1924, many of the buildings underwent renovation, and sections of the complex are often closed off for this purpose.

Since its first wooden construction in 1749, the tower has served as a fire watch tower and was used for signaling maritime navigation information to the ships on the Golden Horn. Seven years later, during the Great Fire of Çibali, the Beyazıt Tower was severely damaged and replaced by a second construction on the same location. In 1826, however, this building was completely destroyed during the riots in Sultan Mahmud II’s reign. In the same year, another tower was built of wood, which was designed by the Armenian architect Krikor Amira Balyan. A short time later, however, the new tower was set on fire during the Janissary revolts. Today’s Beyazıt Tower dates back to 1828. The 85-meter-high tower, made of stone, was built by Senekerim Amira Balyan, the younger brother of Krikor Amira Balyan, in Ottoman style and named after Sultan Beyazıd II. With its current function as a weather tower, it displays weather conditions in different colors. Blue represents sunny weather, green means rain, yellow fog and red snow.

The Tower of Justice has always been surprisingly inconspicuous, although it was intended to be built as a symbol of the sultan’s eternal stance against injustice. The tower was built as an extension of Topkapı Palace and is easily recognizable as the tallest part of Topkapı Palace. The Tower was constructed by Mehmet II after he captured Constantinople. Mehmet II developed an elegant system for council meetings, starting with the state council being chaired by the grand vizier. The Sultan separated himself from his council by glass dividing walls, which made him invisible. If the sultan had intended on watching the meeting, he drew the curtains, indicating to the council members understood he had been watching. If not, the council members would have never known whether or not the sultan had watched. All critical state decisions were determined in the Justice Tower. The tower experienced everything alongside the Ottoman Empire. It witnessed its last exciting decision in summer of 1826 when the state council decided to destroy the Janissary army. Mahmud II approved of the action, and monster canons were put in place and the Janissaries were exterminated. The battle took place in history as Vaka-i Hayriye. It means an Auspicious event.

The Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts is an impressive museum combining the Turkish and Islamic works. It is situated at the Ibrahim Pasha Palace (one of the most important buildings of 16th century Ottoman civil architecture) in Sultanahmet. The museum is the last one that was opened during the Ottomans era and displays very unique, more than 40,000 items at its carpet, manuscript, wood, glass-metal-ceramic and ethnography sections.

The museum, which is built on an area of 2000 square meters, is a cultural stop that resists time, where live cars are exhibited and can be visited while enjoying the music of that period. This museum consists of two different parts of floors and has divided the cars according to the years. In the first part, the ground floor houses mainly American cars and motorcycles from the 1950s and 1960s, accompanied by a recreated 1950s diner with neon signs and a jukebox playing medieval hits. The second floor on the upper floor houses a reconstructed European bar and, most importantly, the museum’s private collection of European cars. Highlights of the fully intact collection on display at this private museum include the 1952 Jaguar XK120 Roadster, 1954 Chevrolet Corvette, 1955 Ford Thunderbird Convertible, 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing and 1960 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II. Ataman Classic Car Museum exhibited more than 60 cars from 1920 to 1970.

An aqueduct is a structure for constant supply of water into a city and its people. They consist of underground water channels, water pipes, tunnels, and aqueduct bridges. In 330 CE, Constantine I (Constantine the Great) declared Constantinople as the new capital of the Roman Empire. Subsequently, the city’s population increased dramatically and the main need of the inhabitants was water. Therefore, the construction of the Valens Aqueduct started in 345 CE during the reign of Constantius II (337 - 361 CE). However, the construction of the aqueduct finished and started to function in 373 CE, during the reign of Valens I (364 - 378). This is the reason that the aqueduct is called Valens Aqueduct.

Originally built as the welcoming point for visitors from Europe and beyond, Yedikule Fortress, known commonly in history as the ‘Fortress of Seven Towers’ lies in front of the Golden Gate . Once the most magnificent entrance to the Byzantine capital, it had three gold-plated gates, of which the middle one was larger than the two side gates, which can still be seen today. The Byzantine complex was an important site especially for the Ottomans, who expanded Yedikule after the conquest of Istanbul. It served them as a treasury, dungeon and place of execution at the same time. The most famous prisoner of Yedikule was the young Sultan Osman II, who was strangled on 20 May 1622 in one of the towers. One of the most expensive builds of its time, Yedikule Fortress originally had four towers. The first tower in the Yedikule fortress was built by II. Theodosius in 413 and his son had four high observation towers built. Three more towers were added in 1543 by Mehmet the Conqueror. You can see the towers even today, and they are named as the Flag Tower, Sultan Ahmet III Tower, the Armory Tower, the Dungeon Tower, Top Tower, Treasure Tower, and Young Osman Tower. The Young Osman Tower was the site of Sultan Osman II’s death, during his imprisonment.

Built on the Yıldız hill, it initially served as a pavilion on the Sultan’s hunting grounds, which were located in this area. In the late 18th century Sultan Selim III expanded the pavilion, constructing a garden and fountain for his parents. Later, in the periods of Mahmud III, Sultan Abdülmecid and Sultan Abdülaziz, it was expanded by the addition of pavilions and summer palaces and it became known as Yıldız Palace. The palace took its place in history after the Old Palace, Topkapı Palace and Dolmabahçe Palace, as a center from where the Ottoman Empire was governed. All the buildings were used as a palace until the end of the Ottoman Empire in the early 1900’s, and was then handed over to the Military School in Istanbul. In the 1970’s it was placed under control of a cultural organization, and it became a museum in 1993. Currently Yildiz Palace occupies an area of 500,000 square meters and it’s composed of pavilions, museums, palaces, park, and gardens.

One of the oldest of Istanbul’s castles, Yoros Castle was strategically placed to cover as a land border fortress, but it also sits opposite the Black Sea coast, and the views from the top were more than sufficient to allow a watch out over that long portion of water. Yoros Castle was built in 1838, and stands on a former Greek trading point. The castle was occupied several times, by several different inhabitants, including during the Byzantine Empire, well before the Ottomans arrived. In fact, the castle passed hands between the Byzantines and Ottomans, before the Genoese also tried their luck. Of course, after the fall of Constantinople, the Ottomans regained complete control. In the mid-18th century Sultan Osman III had Yoros Castle refortified and Sultan Abdul Hamid I added several watchtowers to the castle. After this, it gradually fell into disrepair. By the time of the Turkish Republic, the castle was no longer used. At present Yoros Castle can be visited but only the exterior of the upper castle, entrances to its interior are closed off with metal gates.

At the beginning of the 12th century, this complex, formerly used as a monastery, was built by Emperor John II and his wife Irene, who can be seen on one of the mosaics in the Hagia Sophia as an imperial family. After the conquest of Constantinople, the Ottomans converted the church into a mosque and named it Molla Zeyrek Camii. Nikephoros, who was a famous architect at that time, built two churches connected in the middle with a funerary chapel and surrounded by a hospital, a nursing home, a mental hospital and several monastery cells. Since 1206, Hodegetria, the Icon of Constantinople has been kept in the monastery as a unique reliquary. The complex of the Zeyrek Mosque houses, after the Hagia Sophia, the second largest still existing church, built in the Byzantine period. Until recently, the Zeyrek Mosque was on the list of the most endangered 100 cultural monuments of the World Monuments Fund. However, the complex is being carefully restored by the Koç Foundation.
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
proLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
localLanguages:
Profile verified
Find a personal guide in just 1 minute and create your dream itinerary!

FindGuide is a platform for finding private and local guides around the world. You can choose a guide in advance who will show you the city from a local perspective, not just the standard tourist route.
Enter the city or country you're interested in into the search bar, choose a guide you like, and send them a request. All bookings are made directly on the platform.
We offer walking, food, historical, driving, private, and family tours in more than 100 destinations.
Yes, all guides go through moderation and verification. You can read reviews from other travelers, check the guide’s rating, and view their profile with photos and experience descriptions.
Tour prices vary depending on the destination, duration, and format. You see the cost upfront — no hidden fees.
Yes, the app is completely free for tourists. You can place your tour requests for local guides and access expert travel content totally free of charge.
